Under One Flag
In 2021, an online education resource will be created to help teachers in the classroom integrate the Filipino American story into their curriculum. This resource will cover topics such as World War II and the Filipino civil rights effort to seek recognition and benefits in the decades that followed. Educators and students will be able to analyze primary source documents related to the experiences of Filipino veterans, grassroots activists, and the legislative process. Lesson plans and activities will be developed to align with curriculum standards at the state and national level.
There will be a series of Explainer activities to allow educators to break down large documents into digestible pieces of content. This will make it easier for teachers to bring these primary sources into the classroom and engage students in the story of Filipino and American Veterans.
FOR EDUCATORS WILL INCLUDE:
- An overview outlining the resources available and how they can be used.
- Primary source Explainers, allowing educators to engage students directly with primary sources, supported by contextual information and prompts for reflection.
- Lesson plans that provide teachers with step-by-step guides for engaging students in the classroom and at home with the Oral Histories, the graphic novel, and the exhibition.
- A primary source document archive where educators can access a rich repository of digitized documents.
- Our curriculum development team will identify student learning outcomes that align with existing curriculum standards. They will select key primary source documents and materials to feature in Explainers. The curriculum development team will also write lesson plans.
To learn more, go to: www.dutytocountry.org/for-educators
Under One Flag